Tuesday, August 4, 2009

Lily's Birthday Party: Part II

The progression... Here are a couple of recipes from the party I've been asked for. Enjoy! Ice Cream in a Bag Pour the following into a ziploc sandwich bag:

1/2c heavy cream 1/2c milk 2t vanilla 2T sugar

Ensure the bag is sealed tightly and place into a gallon size ziploc freezer bag. Fill the freezer bag half full with ice and 1/2c rock salt. Seal and shake vigorously for 5 minutes.

Notes: You can use half & half instead of the cream and milk mixture I did and I've heard that just milk works too. The mixture will be a consistency of soft serve after five minutes. I wrapped a dish towel around the gallon bag to keep my fingers from freezing while shaking. Also, if you want to make more than one serving you could probably put two sandwich bag portions in one gallon bag of ice so you don't have to shake more than one bag; I'd just add a little more ice and increase the salt accordingly.

Super Easy Sangria

1 bottle Sauvignon Blanc or other white wine 3 cans Fresca Fresh berries & sliced peaches

Yep, that's it. I received a lot of complements on this drink. I used the Barefoot brand wine because they're super cheap. I figured I didn't need to drop a lot of money into wine that I was going to mix with Fresca and my bet paid off. An added bonus is that they come in 1 liter bottles if you have a large crowd to serve.

This looks beautiful in a large clear glass container. I used two 1 liter bottles of Barefoot Sauvignon Blanc to start and had to add another liter bottle of Barefoot White Zinfandel to the mixture when the punch bowl began to get low. I was worried at first that it would taste funky with two different kinds of wine in there but I had guests to keep hydrated and white zin was all I had left in my arsenal. It still tasted great! Next time I make this I will freeze the berries and peaches ahead of time to keep the mixture cooler longer.

Besides it's simplicity, what I like most about the recipe is that, unlike most sangria recipes, it doesn't require a trip to the liquor store or anything to be done ahead of time for it to taste great. As the guests were arriving I was dumping all of the ingredients in my container and it looked great. One note of caution however is that this is one of those drinks that sneaks up on you if you know what I mean. :)

The spread...

Henry and Hamilton are Julie's boys and they adore Lily. Since they were first to arrive they got to check out Lily's pool and the slip and slide first.Henry looking super cool in his action shot!

This is Jana. She is undeniably the sweetest young woman I know. I can't wait till we can call her up to babysit!

No comments:

Post a Comment